Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Ok, it isn't quite finished... but please edit and help!


WESTERN WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY SCHOOL COUNSELOR PROGRAM

QUESTIONNAIRE

(Statement of Purpose)

1. What stimulated your interest in school counseling as a career?

2. What do you consider to be the current role of the school counselor?

3. What personal qualities do you possess that you believe would contribute to your effectiveness as a counselor?

4. What causes you to be interested in the program at WWU?

Please attach your answers to this sheet and complete the bottom of this form.

You may also attach any additional information that you consider to be relevant to your application, including a professional résumé and/or statement of interest.

I remember meeting with the school counselor in elementary school. She provided direction and support and also took the time to talk about friends and play games. The career segments directed by the counselor in Junior high I recall the career segment we had with the school counselor which included one of those personality aptitude tests, that is suppose to inspire future goals. The High School Counselor helped me attend the “Running Start Program’ where I received college credits for high school and college without having to go to high school anymore. And in college my counselor helped me to grow and figure out what I wanted to do in life. Each of those counselors had something in common, giving me an opportunity to grow. Along with giving me opportunities, they also helped encourage and give me a desire to do better and do more. A school counselor is a supporter of students and an academic coach. Each counselor I interacted with was a great listener. I often found myself being the roommate and friend that people would confide in and I enjoyed being able to help them through some of their challenges. I sought after more opportunities for this, in internships at a middle school and high school as well as through teaching dance and as being a youth counselor at a summer camp. I found that through those experiences the best way to be an effective counselor is to be patient and understanding without being pushy or trying to solve problems for the people I was working with. By being a good reflective listener and encouraging them to find solutions and make goals I was best able to help them.

I first thought of being a school counselor as I was applying for college and needed to declare a major. I had taken a psychology class on human relationships at the community college during high school and was riveted by what I was learning and thought what better way to spend the next four years of my life than by being excited to learn everyday? I then thought of what jobs a psychology major would lead to and thought of how much I enjoy working with youth. At the time I was merely 18 and did enjoy working with my peers. Over the years since then I have obviously gotten older, but still prefer working with the ages of 13-18. I think it is because of their excitement about the future, the majority of them have an optimistic demeanor and are eager to find their future and find who they are. I really do enjoy helping people realize their passions and encourage them to do so and find ways to help that drive them. I love to schedule things and tend to be organized. It was always exciting for me to schedule my classes and help my friends create their schedules.

Part of my interest to Western is the classes that are required and the link the program has to other aspects of psychology. Some programs seem to focus on one area, which is great but to keep well rounded and aware of what is going on it is better to reach outside and keep aware of things that are going on around us. I also love the Bellingham area, it is so beautiful and rich in culture and activities. I believe that Western will give me the tools I need to be a great counselor and better person and citizen in the different areas of my life.

1 comment:

Jules AF said...

The career segments directed by the counselor in Junior high I recall the career segment we had with the school counselor which included one of those personality aptitude tests, that is suppose to inspire future goals.

This sentence is like you started writing a sentence and then changed it in the middle. Change "which" to "that" or put a comma in front of "which" and delete the comma before the second that. And "suppose" should be "supposed."