Thursday, November 25, 2010
Monday, November 22, 2010
Tuesday, November 16, 2010
Right now I am listening to the "She and Him" pandora radio station... it's been a great choice! It features bands like She and Him, Fiest, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Rilo Kiley, and The Acorn which I can't figure out if they are the same as Ohbijou or just share a singer... either way... I've really been enjoying it, especially while reading Little Women.
I just recently remembered I said I wanted to read 20 books this year... eeks!
Which reminds me, one of my co-counselors at EFY would start off each day at the group gospel study with a report of how we were doing on our group goals and how we could achieve them that day. This makes me think of new years resolutions, or any goal we set for ourselves. How often do we actually take an inventory and see how we are doing on those things?
Well, time to look back on the year and see how many books I have read and how many more I need to read before the end of the year!!
I read the Hunger Games series, loved it, so thats 3 (within the past two weeks might I add.)
I have read 7 books in the True Blood/ Sookie Stackhouse novels, they are easy reads and pretty fun. So there's 10, half way there!!
I read Shutter Island before I saw the movie, liked them both town between wishing I hadn't read the book first... (11)
Hahaha.... Murder Takes the Cake... eeks.. it was free remember? hahaha (12)
The Last Song (13) I enjoyed it, also saw the movie and I like Miley Cyrus so whatever.
I can't remember if I did re-read any of the Twilight books... but either way I don't think I'd count it... so looks like I need to read 7 more books before the end of the year! EEK!
I am almost half way through Little Women (did you know it is a super long book? I am enjoying it, just sayin...)
What book suggestions do you have for me? (PS, I maybe am interested in reading the Birth Order books...)
I didn't think to take a picture before we started eating... but there were two pieces of the Halibut and oh it was so amazing. The lemon had some chili powder on it, which was something new, but delicious! It didn't actually seem to make a difference except for the fact that we were in love with this meal.
Here is some of the scenery of the restaurant...
And our view...
Sunday, November 14, 2010
24. Now 24 is someone I think I could actually be interested in, he is chill yet motivated and productive. He and I go out and take pictures together and it is nice. He is however, very good friends with 21... not to mention good friends with both my ex-boyfriend Alex's best friends, David and Scott. (Yes, I dated two different guys named Alex, one when I was 14 and the other when I was 17 to 21ish? Anywho, just a weird coincidence.) We've only been out "shooting" twice, and the first time we talked about a bunch of stuff, how we would like to live IN a city, like own a building and have the lower part a garage, the middle a dance studio or restaurant, and the top your house... I was recently inspired with this idea from Grey's Anatomy where Christina and her Husband (weird to say btw) buy an old Firehouse! Fire Station? whatev. I think it would be so awesome to have a dance studio in my house, why not live in the downtown city and hold weekly dances, charge people for them, and have it be a side business! It would be great! Especially if somehow it could be an after school hangout that is an appropriate place for kids, and a good environment? Yeeaah! After that we were driving around and picked out houses for him to buy me. All in all it was a blast. Part of my hesitation here is height... which might just be me being vain and petty. sigh.
29. Well, I am not sure if there really even is a 29 anymore. I was suuper into him. Okay, super might be stretching it too... but he was really cool. and super attractive, not a stretch. We met at a YSA dance a few months ago now, I remember walking past this cute 23 year old and his friend on my way to the drinking fountain and they stop me and say, hey you can't say hi to us? And I say, my bad I was just getting a drink.. then on my way back in I invited them to come dance with my group and they decline at the moment but come join us later. It's all fun and I am taking a liking to this blond 23 year old even though we aren't really talking but just dancing in a group... then theres a slow song.. and he doesn't ask me, neither does his friend... and then the dance is over! And I am like, man this sucks! But I decide to kind of hang around and the cute 23 year old is actually hanging around a little bit too... and then I see him ask his good friend for his number and realize, they had just met! I think that at that point he also asked me for my number. Then we are chatting a little and they are turning lights out trying to get everyone to leave and I say, hey too bad you didn't bring a suit you could come hot tubbing... and he says, hey I might actually have one in my car... so we go out there and we get sidetracked just talking and somehow he says he works at a gym and I go, oh as a trainer cause I realize he is riiiiiipppped! For serious, super ripped. And then I am thinking, dang, I need to get him to my house. hahaha. shallow! anywho. Turns out we parked side by side. turns out also, he doesn't have a swimsuit with him... but I suggest my brother has one he could borrow. So he follows me and we hot tub and chat, turns out he is a Podiatrist, a foot doctor. And that he is 29. Now, at this point I was already attracted, but hearing he was 29 I was like, mmmbaby! (And the fact that I had him half naked in a hot tub!)
So we are just chatting and getting along and he mentions he is going out of town but he'd like to see me again sometime and I suggest he text me when he gets home so that I have his number and he gives a great hug goodnight... very firm... even more so since his body is so firm...
So he does text me, and I text him a little but the rest of the weekend I wait, and after he gets back from his trip he texts me and I refer to a joke we had made and he invites me to his place and we watch a movie and hot tub and cuddle and it was great.
So we do that a few times, then I helped him invite me to go out with his friends on his quads and I realize that we don't talk as well now, but I am still attracted to him and he remains a mystery although does he? I keep thinking of the movie made for my mind--He's Just Not That Into You-- and thinking... well he doesn't text me as much... he doesn't invite me to things... I have to try to suggest them... but when I do he goes for it and we end up doing something like going out to Seattle for a laser light show that is full so we walk around Seattle and go to the Melting Pot for Dinner, YUM! but... since he isn't really trying it isn't going anywhere which is so lame! I've got more guys than I know what to do with, but the one I want doesn't want me. Is that the reason I want him?
I think that part of it with him was that I was trying to stay cool, and not be over bearing so I over analyzed everything I did, timing my texting and stuff... when I should have just been me and not worried about it because by removing myself so much I may have come off as disinterested when really all I had been waiting for was him to ask me out.
So now I have a ticket to this hockey game this Friday and I don't know who to ask. I did as 29 but he doesn't get off work til 7 and can't really get off any earlier and the thing starts at 7 and he lives 40 minutes away plus its a friday night and he'd be fighting tons of traffic... so he declined. I am trying to ask his friend who I met through him... but that might not be the best idea although I know he really likes Hockey (and is 25 haha)... and then there is this other guy I met because of 29 inviting me to a football party at this random girls house, he was easy to talk to and fun, but I don't know if thats weird to just ask a guy I haven't talked to for a few weeks and have only met and hung out with once to a crazy hockey game with my sister and brother in law... or there is this really cute and funny guy that one of my dear friend's served his mission with... or a new 22... or 21, 24 works late so he's out... maybe a different 29 but he always ignores me and I know he has a temper so I wouldn't want to date him... my good friend 25 is out cause he works nights...
moral of the story is that I feel like a serial dater, I feel like I have such a great opportunity right now, yet, the guys I am really interested in are not returning my calls--who am I kidding, texts, I don't call people... so I still feel like no one I like likes me, which I feel ridiculous feeling since I know what it is like when no one likes you and people like me say oh it'll be okay hon and I want to punch them... so oy.
Friday, November 05, 2010
Remember how in the summer I had two boys and didn't know what to do with myself or my feelings?
WEellll.... it's kind of like life is giving me a big joke right now...
the joke is that I have maybe 6 guys chasing me.
Okay, I am exaggerating quite a bit... mostly for entertainment value. And for self esteem purposes.
But let me explain!
My favorite part of the guys that like me right now are their ages. So instead of names, we will just use their age. And whatever other nick names I want. Cause I do what I want.
19. We all remember him, from the dance team I coached last year, he talks nonstop and gave me 24 "kisses" on my birthday and toilet papered my yard a few times. Well, he was in love with me or whatever but he is now on his mission, which is great! I am NOT waiting for him. I wrote him once, and I might write him again. Not as often as he asked--once a week? heeeeeellllllzNO.
21. It was unclear as to if this guy was trying to date me or ask me out... he calls and invites me to things like dinner and a movie but then invites his other guy friend so it's me and two guys--which I love. so I wasn't sure. but he texts me regularly and he finally asked me out last night over the phone--for next friday night. I'm not sure how excited about this I am... which I will explain a little later better, but for now it is that he has bad breath to be blunt. and is pretty fresh off the mish, and I had heard that he did NOT like older women so I was excited that we were just friends but oh well. I love that he likes me for my story's sake if nothing else.
22. Let me preface 22 by saying that my dear friend Kyle often comes over to hang out and hot tub after he gets off work, and we always have fun and just talk about life and things. We are both aware that we are friends. (Last year I was hoping he had been into me cause I was diggin him, but I am over that) SO, sometimes Kyle will invite his friends over to hot tub with us. He did this a few months ago and his friend was instantly charmed by me. I did nothing. I was just hanging out with the guys... but I digress back to 22. So, again Kyle comes over to hot tub, and invites a friend, and 22 comes. Maybe it is the sight of me in a swimsuit -NOT- but again, without trying or even aware of it? 22 loves me. He texts almost nonstop, always inviting me out but I need sleep! So I decline, or say, sure you can come over and leave by 10pm so I can get some sleep. 22 flatters me, and is really strong. Too bad for him he is over confident in his view of what I think of him, and he is a meathead and is seriously like that girl from How To Lose A Guy in 10 Days-- no joke, one morning he texted me to tell me what he ate for breakfast. And let me tell you, it was 8 eggs, three pieces of toast, an apple, two glasses of orange juice, and something else I am sure. I was full for three days just hearing about that much food! He also tried to start using pet names with me after the second night we hung out... I'm just not feelin that.
23. This is one of the summer boys-- the one I was less into by the end of the summer. PS, turns out the one I was more into most likely HAD a girlfriend while we were dating. Stupid boys. Anyway, 23 is backpack. ...and I really feel like he is turning to me so much because the girls at school aren't returning his affections. I don't know if I am right in thinking this, but thats how it feels to me. Maybe thats because I have 85 guys after me and I have NEVER had that and I don't know what to do? But it could also have something to do with the fact that I decided the last time I visited him in his home town that yes we have fun together, but there are big differences in the way we want to live our lives and we have such different views on certain things... and I realized for me that we are great as friends and I didn't want anything more than that. Which is so ironic that he was all passive this summer saying he wanted to be friends and just chill and not ruin the friendship and I wanted a commitment, and now it is so flipped. He wants to be inlove with me, he keeps calling me love and all I want is for him to stop texting me 7 times a night and talking about the SAME things (why don't we ever talk? I miss you, do you hate me? Oh we never talk and I miss it) BLECH. Broken record much? Sheesh. And whenever I explain we never talk because I am working he complains and tries to give me a solution--which I did not ask for or need. Every day he feels more and more like my high school boyfriend. Which in turn only turns me off more.
Lately I have been considering going to CityU, the grad school that accepted me as soon as I paid my application fee... the benefits are: Live at home, commute only 20 minutes or so. Keep working at one of my jobs... with the possibility of getting a job through the dance team I volunteer at teaching 5th graders dance. (with the right training I would LOVE that) another pull to stay here and go to CityU... is dating.
now, dating needs to be another post. And I really need to do a lot to improve that aspect of my life and narrow it down and find ways to be straight forward so that I know what is going on there...
My parents are thinking of buying a new house, and renting out our current one. They suggested I could live in our current house and have roommates, which could be quite awesome! Part of my wants to move out and establish myself and be able to do what I want with life without my parents being RIGHT there... (cause dating after high school but still living at home... not the most exciting. Any guy that is over my mom will make a comment like, oh he's cute and I am like, MOM. We are friends NOT engaged. She is always planning the wedding and it is irritating. haha) but if they were to move out, I still wouldn't have to pay rent which is a big pull of living at home, the free aspect, but they would be gone and not micromanaging my life. Not that they are... but it's weird.
I still feel a little like I am waiting for life to happen, even though I KNOW that it IS happening and I have to go and do stuff to enjoy it to the fullest, to really experience it.
Sometimes I really wish I went to a psychologist so they could listen to my ramblings and maybe encourage a decision cause I am way too indecisive. Or am I? (get it? hahaha... )
Anyway, back to the music... hahahaha. The other day I put my iPod on random and I had THE BEST playlist! I was digging every song, not wanting to skip anything! I then tried to go back so I could add all the songs to a playlist and enjoy them in that order again later but I messed it up a lilbit.
It was something like this:
Haha. It was just a really good mix and felt like a great fall soundtrack.
Thursday, November 04, 2010
1 1/2 cups hot brewed coffee
3 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
3 large eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 pound semisweet chocolate
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/4 cup unsalted butter
Two 10- by 2-inch round cake pans
A good attitude
For the layers:
Preheat oven to 300°F. Grease those pans. My grandmother lines the pan bottoms with wax paper, too. Finely chop the chocolate. Then, in a bowl, mix the chocolate with the hot coffee. Stir until smooth.
In a large bowl, sift together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In another large bowl, beat the eggs for about 3 minutes. An electric mixer works best. Then, slowly add the oil, buttermilk, vanilla, and melted chocolate mixture to the eggs, beating until it’s all combined really well. Add the sugar mixture and beat (on medium speed). Finally, divide the batter between your pans and bake them in the middle of your oven for about 65 minutes.
When that’s done and your kitchen is smelling really, really good – Cool the layers completely in their pans. Run a thin knife around the edges of pans and invert the layers. Carefully remove the wax paper and cool the layers completely.
For the frosting:
Finely chop the chocolate. In a saucepan, bring the cream, sugar, and corn syrup to a boil over moderately low heat, whisking until the sugar is dissolved. Remove the pan from the heat and add the chocolate, whisking it until it’s all melted. Now would be the time to whisk in that butter until smooth. Put the frosting in a bowl and allow to cool, stirring occasionally.
Then, spread the frosting between your cake layers, over the top and around the sides. Now, find a fertility specialist and give her what she wants.
Insanely Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cake
For this one, you can opt to use the same frosting from my grandma’s Holy Mother of Chocolate Cake. This cake also works pretty well without any frosting at all. It’s up to you.
2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 (6 ounce) package chocolate chips (I like the mini kind)
Heat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13 x 9 pan. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sour cream, butter, vanilla and eggs. Mix all of that goodness together. You can use a mixer at medium speed for about 3 minutes.
Then, pour half of the batter into your pan. In a separate small bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle half of that sugar mixture and ½ cup of your chocolate chips over the batter. Repeat with the remaining batter, sugar mixture, and chocolate chips. Bake it all at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
If you want to add the frosting from my previous recipe, you can do so now. If not, no worries. Baking cakes at people is fun, isn’t it?
Give Them What They Want Double Fudge Cake
Again, you don’t have to use frosting on this cake if you don’t want to. If you do, use the frosting from my first recipe.
6 ounces semisweet chocolate
3/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup cocoa powder (not drink mix)
1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
1 pinch salt
Preheat oven to 350° F. Prepare an 8 inch round pan by greasing its bottom and sides. Cut a circle of waxed paper and fit it around the bottom of the pan. Grease that, too.
Coarsely chop your chocolate. Then, melt the chocolate and the butter over simmering water. Stir the sugar into the chocolate. Beat the eggs (fast and hard), one at a time, into the chocolate. Next, add your cocoa, pepper, salt, and stir. Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake about 40 minutes.
Cool about 10 or 15 minutes. Then run a knife around the edge to loosen, and invert on a plate.